Star Wars The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer Reaction
WARNING RAMBLING AHEAD!!!
Okay now THAT is a teaser trailer. Unlike the first one I can understand why people love this one. The first one is like taking a quick clip of some extra on Hoth scrubbing down and X-Wing. I believe people loved that trailer because it was only Star Wars and not for the actual content it displayed. This teaser was different. This trailer set a tone for the movie. The only thing missing is some comedy and dialogue but then again I can’t remember if the previous movies had that in their trailers(and this is only a “teaser”).
Things that stood out to me:
1.Luke - Mark Hamil narrates a good deal of the trailer and he’s seen giving “someone” a light saber so this seems to be the literal “passing the torch” moment. Also it’s interesting that he(I assume it’s Luke)has a metal hand. I know he has a metal hand after “Empire” but it looked like a human hand. Was he not able to keep up maintenance on the hand?
2. The Worlds - What worlds will we see in this film. Will they be planet hopping? The first image is on a seemingly desert planet. I doubt it’s Tatooine because that would be too obvious. A good deal of the trailer seems to take place in a desert. There is a shot of x-fighters going by trees I’m guessing this is another planet since in the Star Wars Universe(movie anyway) each planet seems to have only a single environment. Also later we see that the Empire is still around. Is it on Coruscant?
3. The Characters - Is the villain(the one with the lightsaber) a Sith? There can only be 2 Sith at a time and both Vader & The Emperor are dead soo… yeah. I’m assuming the young people in the trailer(the X-Wing pilot the the couple running) are the main characters. I can’t gleam anything about their personalities from the trailer. I just hope the writing is better that the prequels. Would it be safe to assume that the female is Leia’s daughter based off on the way Luke was talking? So the Sith is around how many Jedi will be around after 32 years? Hopefully in the film the villains won’t be evil just for the sake of villainy. I just hope that every principal and supporting character get “their moment” otherwise the film will come across as being too bloated. It’s interesting that they used an appearance of Chewbacca and Han to end the trailer(no Leia or C-3P0?).
4. The Empire - With both Vader and Palpatine gone who’s running the Empire. Is the Empire splintered across the galaxy? The saying “when the head falls the body is soon to follow” isn’t usually true. There tends to be a mad scramble for power and the whole thing turns out to be a big mess. I imagine that the Empire is still around but with the deaths of it’s head the Rebels are on more equal footing with them now. Also Chrome Storm Troopers? Wasn’t Battlestar Galactica *ahem*different take on Star Wars? The Cylons were their version of Stormtroopers and now Star Wars is aping off of Battlestar Galactica? What a twist!
5. Technology - Maybe it will be addressed in the movie but I would think that after 30 years there would be a sharp jump in technology. Based on the trailer there has been some slight alterations but everything looks the same. Also that Star Destroyer crashed and deserted on that planet…MAN imagine what it took to take that down!
6. CGI/Practical Effects - If there is anything I love that this trailer showed me was a great marriage between CGI & practical effects. One of the worst things about the the prequels(and the Hobbit films) was an over reliance on cgi. It started becoming the case of the “Uncanny Valley”(making something look so real to the point it doesn’t look real anymore(well that’s my version of it anyway!)). George Lucas made all of the backgrounds(well most) with cgi. From afar they might look good but up close they looked artificial. He also did that with the alien characters. CGI should not be there in disservice of the story but to help it. From what I see in this film and from some photos there will be physical sets and some of the aliens will be animatronic and puppets.
Well so far so good. Next up the ”Batman VS Superman” trailer and then the 1st full (non teaser)trailer for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” .